Westmorland and Furness, and Parish Council Information
- Westmorland Council Services my.eden.gov.uk/myeden.aspx
- Greystoke Parish Council Becx Carter greystokeparishcouncil.wordpress.com
Greystoke Primary School
- 01768 483572 www.greystoke.cumbria.sch.uk/
Refuse and Recycling
- Blue bag (for landfill) collection day: Fridays
- Recycling (plastic and paper): alternate Thursdays
- Garden Waste: fortnightly Fridays (monthly during winter)
- You need a “Recycling Calendar” for your postcode eforms.eden.gov.uk/recyclingcalendars/33.pdf or 01768 817817 or
- Glass, tins, cardboard and paper can be recycled at the village hall car park. Proceeds go to the Parish Council for the benefit of local organisations.
- There is a recycling centre at Flusco (4 minute drive). www.cumbria.gov.uk/planning-environment/waste-management/servicesincumbria/hwrcs/flusco.asp
Services and Utilities
- Fibre broadband (to the cabinet) is available in the village.
- Mobile phone reception: the O2 network (O2, Giffgaff, Tesco, Sky) delivers 4G reception across the village. Other networks have poor signal. EE offer wifi calling, either via your phone (if supported) or a booster box.
- A local oil syndicate operates, buying oil at a lower cost. Facebook group for details: www.facebook.com/groups/1665468613496464/about/
- The Post Office and Shop operates an EV charging point for your electric vehicles
Swimming Pool and cafe
- The volunteer-run outdoor heated swimming pool and cafe is open throughout summer. Various fundraising activities are run throughout the year. Stephen Nicol, Chair 017684 80088 www.greystokepool.org.uk/
- Welcome to St Andrew’s Greystoke. We worship in both modern and traditional styles with coffee and cake! We are a family church, where everyone from the youngest to the eldest is loved and welcomed. Come and see!
- For more information contact Martin the vicar at or John Danks the Church Administrator on 017684 80661
- Wright Brothers Coaches operate Service 888 from Newcastle to Keswick from the first Friday in July to the last Sunday in September. This stops in Greystoke. More information can be found online during summer. www.wrightscoaches.co.uk/routes.html
- Stagecoach X4 and X5 services between Penrith and Keswick stop at the Herdwick Inn, Penruddock (2.5 miles away) www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables
- Fellrunner buses operate a Saturday service stopping at Blencow. Timetable and contact info on website www.fellrunnerbus.co.uk/timetable.html
- Fellrunner also operate a Tuesday service from Greystoke, and a service from Newbiggin: www.greystokevillage.co.uk/services/greystoke-fell-runner-timetable, https://www.greystokevillage.co.uk/services/fell-runner-timetable-3/
Voluntary Car Scheme
Shops, Pub and Village Hall
- The village shop: Monday to Saturday: 7:30am – 12:30pm then 3:30pm-5:30pm, and 8 – 12 on Sunday. The times for the post office (within the village shop) can be found at www.greystokevillage.co.uk/services/greystoke-stores/
- Bunkers Hill Dairy for raw milk, fresh eggs, seasonal veg, ice creams and more: https://www.greystokevillage.co.uk/services/bunkers-hill-dairy/
- The Boot and Shoe. See website and Facebook for info and events bootandshoegreystoke.co.uk/
- Village Hall community venue. Enquire/book: 07758 653845 or
- Fish and chip Vans
- Every Thursday 5 – 7 pm in the village car park
- Every 2nd Saturday 5:30 – 7:15 pm in the village car park: https://www.thechippievan.co.uk/schedule
- Penrith: The best car parking are supermarket car parks (Sainsburys 3 hours, Morrisons and Booths 2 hours). Parking discs are available from local shops and tourist info. https://www.visiteden.co.uk/visitor-information/tourist-information-centres-tics/penrith-tourist-information-centre/
What’s on? Where to find out more
- Check out the notice boards in the village – shop, village hall and church
- The Church sponsored “Together magazine” is delivered to every home, and contains wider community news, events and advertising. Also available in the village shop and church.
- Village facebook group, for more local news and events www.facebook.com/groups/greystokevillage/
- And of course this website!
Lots of other things are going on including: WI, Whisky Club, Tower bell ringing, Handbell ringing, Coffee mornings, Brownies, Guides, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Social Club, Yoga, Pilates, Playgroup and much more. Just ask anyone. Or ask someone at the Rectory, shop or pub, they will know someone who knows. Please just ask.
It is inevitable that information of this nature will go out of date. Please join the facebook group and leave comments so the document can be updated. Last updates: June 2023